Herochat

The Good Place: Hopefully Won't Be Bad

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Place: Hopefully Won't Be Bad
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 07:27:40 PM »
Rewatching it now because my wife didn't watch watch it. In the first episode Eleanor makes a comment to Chidi about her parents being used to torture each other in the bad place.

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 10:07:29 PM »
So season 2 finale twist: It's actually the Medium Place. It's not really happy, but there are happy moments. It's not truly hellish, but there are difficult periods. Everyone seems to be forced to realize the problems they caused in life and maybe try to atone for their actions. Sounds like Purgatory to me.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 10:23:03 PM »
Maaaybe... but didn't Michael say he was building a "bad place"

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 12:20:53 AM »
yea I douby he lying now, because of the flashbacks match it

Though think their higher ups watching it, and they may use it as a test. Maybe a medium place will be created because of this.

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:01 AM »
I couldn't remember if anyone in Michael's flashbacks actually mentioned the Bad Place or if they just said they weren't the Good Place, leaving us to fill in the blanks because we were led to believe there was no "medium" place. I'm probably wrong here, but it's a thought.

altoon

• +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 01:47:15 AM »
No they just said he was building a new community

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2017, 06:05:06 AM »
Eleanor says they're in the Bad Place, and Michael
Says she sucks for figuring it out. In his flashback meeting, he mentions how he stole a Janet from the Good Place. And he mentions how they (his group) normally just drop people in lava pits and such for torture.

It does not sound like they are a medium place at all. They seem to be a legit Bad Place.

The Mindy St. Claire Medium Place house seems to be legit, as Janet had gone rogue by that point and was doing whatever Jason wanted. Isolation for eternity sounds pretty bad though, but Mindy seemed to be self-centered to an extreme level. It might be a Bad Place in disguise (ie: even Janet doesn't know it's true Bad Place) or a true Medium Place that skews more toward Bad.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
Eleanor fucked up twice in the finale.

First, she has her epiphany and chooses to literally confront her demons.
How the fuck did she think that was going to play out well in any way shape or form?
The smart thing to do, knowing what she knew (no one was getting on the train) was play along and once they were given another reprieve (Bomba Jon was going to provide just that) talk to Chidi on the DL and go from there.

Second, while i didnt take a stop watch to the scene, she had time to write a LITTLE more than 'find Chidi' on that note.
I get that its more fun plotwise for next season but adding 'this is really the bad place' would have been helpful.
Actually, writing JUST 'this is really the bad place' would have been okay plotwise, as she tried to figure out who to trust, and she and Michael played a running game of 'i know something you dont know'.

I found the note was fine because she felt rushed for time (mind wipe coming any second) and she was having a brain fart/mental block due to the pressure.

Even then, her note is pretty good. If she just wrote "This is the Bad Place", she would have no reason to trust anyone... other than maybe Janet. But now the note will draw her to Chidi in hopes that he will help her down the right path.

Granted, the best note would be, "This is the Bad Place. Find Chidi." But again, a brain fart on what to write when a mind wipe and eternal torment are on the table? Believable.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »
Agree to disagree on the note.

Where do you stand on her confronting Michael? You didnt comment on that.

It's maybe not a bright move. Very reactionary. But that's Eleanor for you. She liked to rub shit in people's faces, and she did that to Michael, showing that she saw through his plan.

This does put Michael in some (minor for now) hot water with his boss. Which may be a good thing in the long run? Not sure if escape is a possibility here. Playing along to get help from Chidi could have been good... or Chidi might just have had a panic attack and frozen up.

Interesting note though. Tahani did great deeds, but she made it to the Bad Place because her motivations were completely selfish (and the way she treats people in general probably didn't help). Chidi always tried to do right, so his motivations were generally good... but due to always being indecisive and wrapped up in worrying about moral implications, he rarely did anything good and just caused everyone grief.

So now the point system is becoming a bit clearer (considering the prior system was a sham to fool them).  You need a combination of good deeds and good motivations to reach the Medium or Good Place.

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2017, 12:30:22 PM »
Agree to disagree on the note.

Where do you stand on her confronting Michael? You didnt comment on that.

It's maybe not a bright move. Very reactionary. But that's Eleanor for you. She liked to rub shit in people's faces, and she did that to Michael, showing that she saw through his plan.

This does put Michael in some (minor for now) hot water with his boss. Which may be a good thing in the long run? Not sure if escape is a possibility here. Playing along to get help from Chidi could have been good... or Chidi might just have had a panic attack and frozen up.

Interesting note though. Tahani did great deeds, but she made it to the Bad Place because her motivations were completely selfish (and the way she treats people in general probably didn't help). Chidi always tried to do right, so his motivations were generally good... but due to always being indecisive and wrapped up in worrying about moral implications, he rarely did anything good and just caused everyone grief.

So now the point system is becoming a bit clearer (considering the prior system was a sham to fool them).  You need a combination of good deeds and good motivations to reach the Medium or Good Place.

basicly I view chidi sin as sloth/inaction

That why he was the closest. He didnt do anything outworldly bad, but didnt accomplish much good either.
Watching this..it I thought it no way im making in the good place

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »
You need a combination of good deeds and good motivations to reach the Medium or Good Place.
Thats no surprise. I've known that since Bible school.

But i'll take the 'reactionary' comment as yeah Eleanor fucked up.

Depends on the Bible school. Certain Christian groups believe that you can't make it to Heaven on good deeds... only the grace of Jesus Christ can get you there, so while good deeds are an effect of true belief, they are not a requirement. Your intentions basically trump all.

Having been raised Catholic, deeds are a requirement. You can't be a good Christian unless you live a devout life, go to church, do confessions, partake of communion, go through Confirmation, etc.

So the Good Place seems to shooting for the combo of deeds and motivations... whereas the show originally (when Michael was deceiving everyone) made it seem like deeds alone were enough.

therock

• +20/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
You need a combination of good deeds and good motivations to reach the Medium or Good Place.

Depends on the Bible school. Certain Christian groups believe that you can't make it to Heaven on good deeds... only the grace of Jesus Christ can get you there, so while good deeds are an effect of true belief, they are not a requirement. Your intentions basically trump all.

Having been raised Catholic, deeds are a requirement. You can't be a good Christian unless you live a devout life, go to church, do confessions, partake of communion, go through Confirmation, etc.

So the Good Place seems to shooting for the combo of deeds and motivations... whereas the show originally (when Michael was deceiving everyone) made it seem like deeds alone were enough.

Which begs a question if your going to church, just to not go to hell is your intentions really pure.

XerxesTWD

• +49/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2017, 09:53:41 PM »
Definitely not. That's why all of those hypocrites are going DOWNTOWN.

altoon

• +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 02:59:22 AM »

You left out outcome of deeds. That how that 1 chick ended up in the medium place and Chiding the bad place because of how there actions affected others.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »
Season 2 started last night and it moved fast. So fast I thought they were burning through the story too quick. Apparently that's just part of the plan.