Herochat

The Rocketeer [Reboot]

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
Re: The Rocketeer [Reboot]
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 04:30:45 AM »
And I'm not butthurt as you said because the new Rocketeer is a black female. I'm butthurt because people feel like a black female character can't succeed without being attached to a pre-established white male character. Which I plainly stated in my original post.
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 05:02:46 AM »
Guy, I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm saying it's fucking ridiculous. And it exists because consumers feed into it. Little kids don't give a shit about the color of their Barbie,

Yeah...that's not true AT ALL. My friends 7 year old was crazy excited and practically begged me to go see Star Wars because one of the main characters was a "black person like me" same thing with my nephew and Black Panther in Captain America 3. Representation matters. You probably don't get it because it's not something you have to deal with, and trying to tell minority posters otherwise is as whitesplaining as it gets. That being said, I don't agree with this whole black female Rocketeer nonsense. Just come up with an original idea rather than shoehorn in a black woman just cuz.

So your personal experience is more viable than mine because you're black? Telling a majority poster otherwise is as blacksplaining as it gets. How do you not realize how ridiculous all this bullshit is? I didn't say that representation doesn't matter; I specifically said that quality of representation matters more than numbers. What good does having 50% representation in pop culture do if 90% of that 50% is unfairly characterized as thugs or drug dealers? But you're so caught up in the narrative you're trying to present that you can't understand that. The fact that you had to resort to basing your entire argument around the basis of my race just proves your racial bias. You take whatever out of context point you can focus on to further your narrative at the expense of the actual point. I genuinely hope that you're not still pursuing law school (iirc), because if you don't understand basic logic you're going to have a really tough time.

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 05:54:57 AM »
Yeah I didn't figure you would. I'm sure you've had it up to your eyeballs with me today, and I understand and apologize that the nature of our discourse today hasn't been the most civil, by necessity or otherwise.

Arguments solely founded on a flimsy basis of race-peddling are rarely continued when confronted with the double standards necessary to further their narrative. Further evidenced by the use of nonsense terms like whitesplaining. That said, I've purged my hatred of logically disconnected arguments from my system today, so I'm done too. You're a very intelligent person, but I feel like you also let current social culture narratives inform and cloud your intelligence to a dangerous degree. You're not alone. I do too, and I can admit it. The current social insistence and memes that "white people are the reason for every bad thing that has ever happened in the world but we still want to rely on their help while talking constant shit about them but shitting on them when they try to sympathize or open dialogue" has left me a little antagonistic at the moment. The double standards needed to support that narrative are astounding. Multiple wrongs don't make a right, no matter how we try to illogically justify it. All told, I love (and hate) everybody and just want people to get along regardless of their skin tone and not be assholes to each other based on that. The end.

I love you.

I love Jelly.

I love Liquid.

I love Rock.

I love President Obama.

I love Xerxes.

I love Boyz II Men.

I love Julia Roberts (though less than everybody else on the list)

Have a good night, and I mean that.

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 05:55:56 AM »
Well-timed post deletions.

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 06:45:25 AM »
That was confusing but, very heartfelt.

It was much less confusing before Prime deleted his posts. And before he just unfriended me on Facebook, coincidentally.

I'm sure that's unrelated, though. That's way too petty of a thing for a paragon of humanity like a Herochat Admin to do

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 06:55:08 AM »
Listen, if the movie looks good, all of us will see it. That said, Disney isn't having a black female lead because a black actress was simply the best person to audition. They are having a black female lead because they decided to do a race and gender swap.

I do like that it will be a sequel though. So new Rocketeer and old Rocketeer will likely team-up.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

LiquidSailor

• +69/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 07:02:21 AM »
Not that they cant build another, but didnt the original get destroyed when the nazi stole it and the good guy removed the gum that plugged the fuel leak?0

DIGUSTING

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 07:02:38 AM »
Listen, if the movie looks good, all of us will see it. That said, Disney isn't having a black female lead because a black actress was simply the best person to audition. They are having a black female lead because they decided to do a race and gender swap.

I do like that it will be a sequel though. So new Rocketeer and old Rocketeer will likely team-up.

*100 emoji*

therock

• +45/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »
And I'm not butthurt as you said because the new Rocketeer is a black female. I'm butthurt because people feel like a black female character can't succeed without being attached to a pre-established white male character. Which I plainly stated in my original post.

I don't know you sound pretty butt hurt. Otherwise you shouldn't care about race. Disney probably was looking for a black character to target other groups and  figure why not also grab a known property

You know was also known Egyptians gods. Didn't see you batching when they change their race. Or typing "hey we shouldn't care about  race"

You did the right thing and not gave a shit. I miss that guy.

Well as lot of non white fictional character is thought out ahead if time because white male the default.

Wonder woman was created because the guy wanted  a female super hero

So was Batgirl, super girl, she hulk. All good character.  Robin and most sidekicks was created to have a teen side kick to relate to

It nothing wrong with any of that

therock

• +45/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 09:03:37 AM »
i wish I could friend Wyntry just so I can unfriend him.

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
Not that they cant build another, but didnt the original get destroyed when the nazi stole it and the good guy removed the gum that plugged the fuel leak?0

It did. But at the end it's revealed they had the blueprints to build another one for Cliff

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
Speaking of ghostbusters I wanted to see how well it's doing box office wise....ouch

"As of July 27, 2016, Ghostbusters has grossed $94.3 million in North America and $36.2 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $130.5 million, against a production budget of $144 million"

That doesn't factor in marketing and other costs
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:45:20 AM by -K-M- »

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
Little kids absolutely care about how their color is represented around them.

Nailed it again.

It's easy for me as a white (Jew) dude to say ethnicity doesn't matter, but why is it so unbelievable that a minority wouldn't want to see a character that shares their background? It doesn't mean they can't also appreciate white characters.

That being said, I'm usually against swapping genders and ethnicities just for the sake of "diversity." It's lazy and shortchanges the group you're pandering to, and ignored the fact that fans care about the character, not the role they're playing. I read Batman comics because I like Bruce fucking Wayne. You can't put someone else in the cowl and have it be the same.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:14:01 PM by MTL76 »

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Hamburglar

• +2414/-55
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
Did someone just use "whitesplain" unironically?

FUCKING DIGUSTING

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »
You know was also known Egyptians gods. Didn't see you batching when they change their race. Or typing "hey we shouldn't care about  race"

You did the right thing and not gave a shit. I miss that guy.

Guy, I was up in fucking arms about Gods of Egypt. Whitewashing is just another symptom of EXACTLY what the fuck I'm talking about.

Just because I didn't specifically call you up and say "Hey, man. Just want you to know that as a white dude I think it's stupid and damaging that they're making all these Egyptians into Scandinavians. I just wanted to let you know personally as a black dude. I guess we can consider racism fixed now".

I never saw you bash the Green River Killer, so you obviously support the murder and corpse-fucking of women. You monster.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:11:14 PM by Wyntyr »