Herochat

The Rocketeer [Reboot]

-K-M-

• +13/-4
    • View Profile
The Rocketeer [Reboot]
« on: July 28, 2016, 06:11:02 PM »
Disney is rebooting the Rocketeer, which when I heard the news I was super stoked as I love the character...but then I read the article

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/disney-to-reboot-the-rocketeer-with-black-female-lead

Disney is pumping out the female black lead characters. Seems completely unnecessary and random
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:14:19 PM by -K-M- »

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
Re: The Rocketeer [Reboot]
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
So this will be the new Ghostbusters?

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:51:41 PM »
I'm not interested in this. Black women deserve more than to be secondary white properties replacements. Attaching the Rocketeer name means the people who like that character will want to see.. That character as traditionally presented. Create a Skyrocket type character wither her own identity.

-K-M-

• +13/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »
I'm not interested in this. Black women deserve more than to be secondary white properties replacements. Attaching the Rocketeer name means the people who like that character will want to see.. That character as traditionally presented. Create a Skyrocket type character wither her own identity.

100% agreed. I will still watch it though as the rocketeer was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »

Yup. I really don't think Trump supporters would care about Ghostbusters and Iron Man and whatnot so much if they were new characters and not just derivatives of already established characters. It's just boring and lazy. "Let's do a remake of the Lone Ranger, except this time the Ranger is Native American and Tonto is a lesbian from Guatemala!". It's also ridiculous to assume that black or lesbian or whatever characters can't stand on their own feet without being solely attached to an established character.
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 10:44:23 PM »
Gotta say I could care less about a Rocketeer reboot.  Them changing the race and gender is the only thing that even makes me slightly interested in it.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +5/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 11:15:07 PM »

This

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 11:18:54 PM »

Nailed it.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

LiquidSailor

• +70/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 11:35:50 PM »
Quick!  Turn every white you see into a nigger!  Make profit!

DIGUSTING

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 12:00:15 AM »
Quick!  Turn every white you see into a nigger!  Make profit!

So edgy, bro. SOOOOO FUUUUUUCKING EDGYYYYY BROOOOO

LiquidSailor

• +70/-149
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
You will die on the cross for my "sins"

DIGUSTING

therock

• +50/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 12:16:34 AM »
dont mind. Does that many people really cuturally attach to the rocketeer. Disney trying to expand their brand to more people.

Along as it a good movie

Weird thing the only actor no one cares when he plays a character that another race is the rock. He playing a ludlam character and no one gave a shit.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 12:34:54 AM »
Disney trying to expand their brand to more people.

I've honestly never understood this point of view at all. Why would people only watch shows or whatever based on the ethnicity or gender of the characters? People "identify" more with characters of their own background or whatever? Fuck you, I don't need to "identify" with fucking Superman or Detective Alonzo Harris or Machete in order to enjoy the sonofabitch motherfucking movies more. That's asinine.

I mean I'm a fucking white dude from Oklahoma and my favorite show growing up was Martin.

People are idiots.

therock

• +50/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 12:53:26 AM »
Disney trying to expand their brand to more people.

I've honestly never understood this point of view at all. Why would people only watch shows or whatever based on the ethnicity or gender of the characters? People "identify" more with characters of their own background or whatever? Fuck you, I don't need to "identify" with fucking Superman or Detective Alonzo Harris or Machete in order to enjoy the sonofabitch motherfucking movies more. That's asinine.

I mean I'm a fucking white dude from Oklahoma and my favorite show growing up was Martin.

People are idiots.

Same reason when your buying a kid a cabage patch kid you buy one that fits thier race most. Or white kids want white barbies, and black kids want black barbies

Disney want more black kids to buy some rocketeer toys. Probally going to be part of the Disney princess line in the Disney Store

Well that easy to say who cares about if most character on Tv look like you. its a change of pace for other groups.

not like I want EVERY character to be a black dude. But if I am growing up..one every now and then might be good. I remeber reading Milinstone comics was a change of pace. And seeing Jon strewart Green Lanter was interesting as a kid. Related to Static Shock

And it not like its a black only thing. Why do you think movies that base on Asian properties or character put in a white guy. Because holllywood figure we need a white guy to relate to. Now Disney saying you know what sellign well

The Frog princes doll..we getting markets that we normally not getting. And hey lets do something take place in Hawai about a Hawain god. the cartoon about muslims superhero did pretty well..lets expand that a bit

Dont see me flipping out in the other way around. I mean we know Angelie Jolie character in Wanted was susposed to look like a Halle Berry. When they change it..no one gave a shit. I didnt get outrage

"WHAT THE FUCK!!!...FUCK THIS BULLSHIT!!!"

Was like

"Oh guess Halle Berry Said no or wanted to much money"

I mean I lost patients for "Why you got to make everyone black"

When God of Egypt
And Exodus came out that close together

that when it because official silly to complain about changing white character black
Now if someone happen to complain about this...AND that then I get your point

Namely since that didnt just change one character. i am sure they will be white people in rocketeer...starings rolls in fact

or if you bitch about movie 21..that a real life story about Asians taking on vegas..cast by white guys...then I get your complaints about this. You know the reason they did that change. because Hollywood..figure no one going to watch a movie about a bunch of Asian dude. We want white dudes to see our movie

now Hollwood figure black people have cash and will target them given the success of Empire, Power, Scandal, or mult ethnic movies like Fast and Furious. Since you feeding into a starving demographic

it all about money baby.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 01:13:00 AM »
Guy, I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm saying it's fucking ridiculous. And it exists because consumers feed into it. Little kids don't give a shit about the color of their Barbie, because kids aren't born assholes. Their parents do. I don't need the fucking Ninja Turtles to be white in order to enjoy them.

If you're unable to enjoy something because the characters don't look like you, that says as much about you as it does the old white man assholes making the movies.

And yes, I understand that it's empowering to see people "like" yourself on tv. To realize that as a racial minority you don't have to be held back by living in a predominately white culture. To realize as a homosexual or transgender person that there are other people like you succeeding in whatever it is that they choose to do. But guess what? Being white doesn't make me the fucking cat-faced lady doctor on Gray's Anatomy and it doesn't make you fucking President Morgan Freeman. People need to stop defining themselves by one aspect of who they are and/or one aspect of who other people are and just live their own fucking lives.

Do you know how many people on tv look like me? 1: Kevin Owens; and he's still like 5 inches shorter than me and has dumber hair. But you know what? Looking like a tall KO with gorgeous flowing hair isn't going to make me a pro wrestler. I don't think so, anyway. I haven't really tried since 7th grade so I could be wrong.