Herochat

Priest on Deathstroke rebirth...

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
Re: Priest on Deathstroke rebirth...
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »
Deathstroke is one of the better written, mature series we’ve had in years, and I love it

I only have a few minor issues
You should collect all the issues.

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2018, 06:12:35 PM »
Deathstroke is one of the better written, mature series we’ve had in years, and I love it

I only have a few minor issues
You should collect all the issues.
Beat me to it

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2018, 03:10:40 PM »
The Deathstroke vs Batman arc has been mostly awesome, since it's Priest doing what he does best (two super geniuses going to war with each other),

BUT (spoilers)
Highlight to show text
Deathstroke still refusing to acknowledge that Bruce Wayne is Batman after discovering the cave under Wayne Manor (and, then, having Batman appear after turning the lights off and on again) is the dumbest $&$&$ piece of writing I've read in years. Maybe the absolute dumbest.

It doesn't even make sense as a lie, since (a) Slade would have to believe Bruce was an absolute idiot to swallow that, (b) Bruce would have to believe Slade was an absolute idiot to swallow that, but (c) they're both super geniuses that know the other is a super genius.

I'm assuming it's an editorial edict?

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2018, 09:20:23 PM »
Slade only uses 90% of his brain. It's probably easy for Bruce to outsmart him.

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2018, 02:44:08 AM »
Slade only uses 90% of his brain. It's probably easy for Bruce to outsmart him.

Shit, you're right. I forgot it's canon that Slade is functionally retarded. Back in the Judas Contract, he met Terra because he was still in middle school, right?

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2018, 10:17:43 AM »
The way it was scripted, I thought it was Slate and Bruce playing word games, with Slade playing along as if Bruce and Batman were different people just to taunt Bruce. That may be my bias, because the alternative doesn’t make any sense, and Priest is too solid a writer for that. After all, Wintergreen and Alfred are friends, Slade knows Robin’s identity, etc.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2018, 11:05:54 AM »
The way it was scripted, I thought it was Slate and Bruce playing word games, with Slade playing along as if Bruce and Batman were different people just to taunt Bruce. That may be my bias, because the alternative doesn’t make any sense, and Priest is too solid a writer for that. After all, Wintergreen and Alfred are friends, Slade knows Robin’s identity, etc.

See, that's a good effort, but it reads like a really labored retcon a later writer would have to insert to correct things. :)

It doesn't fit the way they were actually taunting each other at that point, and Slade spends most of an entire page explaining why he doesn't want to jump to any conclusions in a very dispassionate way without sarcasm, winking, prodding, etc. It was presented very much like tortured justification for the reader's sake.

I don't blame Priest, because it stinks of editorial. Maybe next issue proves me wrong; I hope so.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:12:02 AM by Visitor-Q »

Animalia

• +10/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »
Yeah, to be fair it's somehow forced.
DS has always know who Batman is.
It makes sense DS doesnt use this info, given the fact he has no beef with him, unlike for example he had in the past with GA.

Animalia

• +10/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2018, 10:52:47 AM »
Also Priest explained how he had problems at writing this run.
I suppose he had to tone DS down a bit.

What’s it like getting to play Batman and Deathstroke off each other. What do you see their dynamic as?

CP:Well at first, I thought it would be fun. It’s a lot of work mainly because if I have Deathstroke making a monkey out of Batman for five issues, the series won’t have credibility. So I have to have Batman one-up Deathstroke, which is not easy to do, and take Deathstroke by surprise

Gree

• +44/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
Sounds like Priest doesn’t know Batman

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »
.. he was writing Batman since the late 80s so.. no.