Herochat

Priest on Deathstroke rebirth...

Mightily Oats

• +74/-577
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
Re: Priest on Deathstroke rebirth...
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2016, 03:21:42 AM »
Guy everyone in comics is auto jacked. I can see that about Wintergreen in the Deathstroke respect thread.

The best is when almost-always-a-cripple Professor X has jacked up legs

MTL76

• +1113/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »
By porker I meant he was chubby. Hefty. Bien mangé.

Of course, he was still a former elite British soldier, to go with his role as Alfred's opposite.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Animalia

• +6/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »
He possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise in prison(broscience says your testosterone raises while in prison).

Mightily Oats

• +74/-577
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2016, 03:57:38 PM »
By porker I meant he was chubby. Hefty. Bien mangé.

Of course, he was still a former elite British soldier, to go with his role as Alfred's opposite.
I see a jacked up dude in every picture of him.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
...that hair.... and the sideburns.

Glad Wintergreen is back though.

What.....I'm just talkin' about 'Slade.....

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
He possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise in prison(broscience says your testosterone raises while in prison).

Huh; always thought Hemp was just a one shot character.

You got the issue reference for this?

Animalia

• +6/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »
This guy must be one of worst losers in comics,he get his ass kicked by DS and later 2 times by wintergreen.
Ds 26 here.

While this one comes from DS17

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »
You know; considering that Hemp is missing one eye himself.

It seems like a pretty off thing to focus on.

But yeah; that's some pretty poor showings there.

Consistently two hit ko'd by Wintergreen?  Well; maybe I under sold Wintergreen but still.

Got to be one of the weaker Cable homages out there.

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
It was a very solid issue.

The art is fantastic. The pacing of the story is very typical of Priest, with several flashbacks interspersed throughout the story. but they all work and serve to roll the main story forward. According to Priest, the emphasis of this series will be on the consequences of violence, rather than action itself.

It opens with Slade completing a job for an African dictator who is trying to wipe out Muslim insurgents. We see the carnage of a big battle. The dictator is concernd with American intervention as a result of the bloodbath, and Slade deftly stymies this with a few clever keystrokes. Slade's brutally honest; when the dictator voices his concerns about an American intervention, Slade replies that the Americans won't care because the victims are black. Some idiot reviewer said this is proof that Slade is "racist."

Turns out Slade took the job as part of a larger goal, to kill a target in the dictator's country that is under the dictator's protection. The dictator turns a blind eye to Slade's business, and the henchmen who take Slade to his target voice their concerns that the dictator will kill them and their families because they are witnesses to the dictator going back on his word to protect the target. Slade confirms this, with some great dialogue. "I have sons... I killed them, when i put on this mask."

But the target has some choice information about a loved one of Slade's being held hostage which he uses to bargain for his life. Slade goes back to the henchmen and makes them a deal in another awesome scene that gets to the heart of him. ("Give me the money in your pockets. This is a contract.")

Interspersed with all this are scenes of a younger Slade being a distant, part-time dad and show what he's had to give up to be the man he is.

I really like how they refer to Slade as "The Deathstroke."

Midnighter copying pansy

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »
Some character designs for the relaunch:

Honestly not a huge fan of this look at all, it's a bit too ninja/Deadpool'y, for me. I like a big, but sleek Armored Deathstroke with some chainmail. His look is iconic. The nu52 version was a bit much and too armory, quite busy. But this isn't good either.

Animalia

• +6/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2016, 03:09:41 AM »
You know; considering that Hemp is missing one eye himself.

It seems like a pretty off thing to focus on.

But yeah; that's some pretty poor showings there.

Consistently two hit ko'd by Wintergreen?  Well; maybe I under sold Wintergreen but still.

Got to be one of the weaker Cable homages out there.
Wintergreen has always been a bad ass despite his age,I dont know where he would rank(maybe near  Fury level)?
The main problem is that in that long run Deathstroke did lack impressive enemies(the Jackal,Ravager,Janissary and so on...were almost trash,and Hemp is the worst of the lot) able to become his nemesis.
If it wasnt for his family DS would be much like the Punisher.

MTL76

• +1113/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »
Honestly not a huge fan of this look at all, it's a bit too ninja/Deadpool'y, for me. I like a big, but sleek Armored Deathstroke with some chainmail. His look is iconic. The nu52 version was a bit much and too armory, quite busy. But this isn't good either.

I'm glad they ditched the bandoleer, and the chunky armor of the most recent costume. Deathstroke shouldn't be wearing spandex, but his armor should be sleek and lightweight, as you say. I kinda like the animated version here:

The current costume is cool but not really iconic, but then again the mask is the most iconic thing about Deathstroke's look. I'd prefer it if it was symmetrical but Priest has said the white sleeve is there for a specific plot point (I think.)

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 06:48:49 PM »

I'm glad they ditched the bandoleer, and the chunky armor of the most recent costume. Deathstroke shouldn't be wearing spandex, but his armor should be sleek and lightweight, as you say. I kinda like the animated version here:

The current costume is cool but not really iconic, but then again the mask is the most iconic thing about Deathstroke's look. I'd prefer it if it was symmetrical but Priest has said the white sleeve is there for a specific plot point (I think.)

I was actually just going to post this as my ideal Deathstroke look. Splash a little of the chainmail look onto that and make the build itself a bit more beefy, and it's pretty amazing in my opinion.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »

Man that's.....really pulling on Deadpool.

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2016, 05:37:38 AM »
Yea as it stands it's a bit Deadpooly