Herochat

Priest on Deathstroke rebirth...

Animalia

• +7/-7
  • Ca nisciun รจ fess!!!
    • View Profile
Priest on Deathstroke rebirth...
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:55:18 PM »
"If he's going to fight Robin, that means you're tired of Robin and you want Robin to go away because he's Deathstroke! He can kill those chickens."
Lol.

It seems the guy wants to make DS become a very bad guy and explore him under the mask,he'll be no longer in the grey zone. Have to say that while DS is cool rencent runs were awful.

http://comicbook.com/2016/07/22/christopher-priest-on-coming-back-to-comics-and-taking-over-deat/

MTL76

• +1126/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Re: Priest on Deathstroke rebirth...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »
Priest is back? FUCK yes.

I appreciate his honesty in this interview. Most creators give the standard "I've loved this character for years, I couldn't wait to write him/her" or "I love everything about what the previous creative teams have done with the character" etc. bullshit.

I also really like what I'm reading here:

"[T]hat's what I'm running around enforcing everywhere I can at DC, that Deathstroke is the anti-Batman."

"I want to write something that's a more human character that's closer to something that Denny O'Neil would write."

"One of the things I asked for and didn't get was a label because I wanted, to really be honest with the character,  let's do the Garth Ennis Deathstroke."

"You have to be careful who you put in front of him because if Deathstroke doesn't kill them, we're violating the character. If Deathstroke is always getting his butt kicked, then we're violating the character."

Let's put this sheeeeeit about David Cain being his equal to REST.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Mightily Oats

• +76/-579
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:14:13 PM »
All of that sounds awesome, and who the fuck said Cain was Slade's equal?

Wyntyr

• +110/-83
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 07:14:31 PM »
"I want to write something that's a more human character that's closer to something that Denny O'Neil would write."

"One of the things I asked for and didn't get was a label because I wanted, to really be honest with the character,  let's do the Garth Ennis Deathstroke."

That's awesome. I already had a ton of respect for Priest as a creator, but this just doubled it
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

MTL76

• +1126/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:53:10 PM »

The occasional stupid battle board loser.

That's awesome. I already had a ton of respect for Priest as a creator, but this just doubled it

I know! He really sounds like he's going to write the doors off of this motherfucker. Where is Jellyrobes/Panthergod, he loves Priest, I want his reaction stat.

My inner fanboy just rose up defiantly from his deathbed, his heart beating strong and sure.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:30:20 PM »

He's got a crazy stealth feat out there but I can't recall him being on Deathstrokes level as a whole.

Wyntyr

• +110/-83
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 12:03:42 AM »
Especially not nu David Cain
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 12:05:33 AM »
Yeah this will be the truth. Priest is a continuity buff, so with the Rebirth there should be full restoration of the Titans history

Mightily Oats

• +76/-579
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 01:44:49 AM »
On HC, the best and most that has been argued for David Cain is that he's roughly equal to Batman when he was in his physical prime, and while middle aged was still A-list, but on the lower end.

That does not make Deathstroke's equal.

For me, Slade is a one eyed Steve Rogers with a sword in lieu of a shield.

Thematically it adds layers, because Slade is all about mercin' muhfuggas instead of saving muhfuggas, even if the end result of either action might be the same.

A fight between the two would be some fucking Piccolo vs Goku at the 23rd Budokai levels of fucking greatness and back and forths.

MTL76

• +1126/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 01:14:39 PM »
Some character designs for the relaunch:

Pillow Biter

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
I like his approach. I'm curious how he will do this without stepping on Batman's toes--in the past, Bats was more skilled and smarter but Slade had the stats. Slade had the brain amp, but somehow Bats was still smarter. Over time, Captain America's brain amp went by the wayside (other than providing a possible explanation for his rapid skill acquisition). But now they may want to play up DS's skill and perhaps even his amped smarts.
Priest understands comics--you have to position guys' capabilities relative to one another. So curious how his DS and his Batman will stack up.
This sounds like bad news (at least for an issue) for fans of a competent Superman. The easy way to throw Slade against Superman is to have Slade totally outsmart a suddenly clueless Superman. There are ways to do it that respect the competence of both, but I have a feeling Supes is gonna look like a meathead.
What's Priest's history like with pet characters? Does he tend to make other guys look uncharacteristically weak or incompetent when dealing with them?

MTL76

• +1126/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
What's Priest's history like with pet characters? Does he tend to make other guys look uncharacteristically weak or incompetent when dealing with them?

Not that I can ever recall. He really isn't the kind of writer who uses the story as an excuse to show a bunch of high-end feats.

As for Batman, I don't see Deathstroke stepping on his toes, or vice versa. There doesn't need to be a top dog between them. Rather, they should both be the two apex predators on the top of the food chain, both in terms of fighting skill but especially at their ability to outthink their opponents and always be three steps ahead of anyone else. They should both be incredibly effective at just about every aspect of their game, and a showdown between the two would be a coin toss - except they're both too smart to let it get to that.

Of course, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Deathstroke take Midnighter down a few pegs and feed him a nice slice of humble pie.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:02:32 PM by MTL76 »

Pillow Biter

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 06:52:36 PM »
Well it will be interesting to see how Priest handles the intersection of DS's physical and mental amps, and his skill.

Mightily Oats

• +76/-579
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 08:02:25 PM »
Well it will be interesting to see how Priest handles the intersection of DS's physical and mental amps, and his skill.
He did fine with basically the same powerset premise and Black Panther

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 09:27:02 PM »
I like his approach. I'm curious how he will do this without stepping on Batman's toes--in the past, Bats was more skilled and smarter but Slade had the stats. Slade had the brain amp, but somehow Bats was still smarter. Over time, Captain America's brain amp went by the wayside (other than providing a possible explanation for his rapid skill acquisition). But now they may want to play up DS's skill and perhaps even his amped smarts.
Priest understands comics--you have to position guys' capabilities relative to one another. So curious how his DS and his Batman will stack up.
This sounds like bad news (at least for an issue) for fans of a competent Superman. The easy way to throw Slade against Superman is to have Slade totally outsmart a suddenly clueless Superman. There are ways to do it that respect the competence of both, but I have a feeling Supes is gonna look like a meathead.

Well; when Iron Man fought black panther under his run I believe, he decided to go with a stealth suit against a master of stealth, with a weakness that was something he should have been aware of to allow BP to get a win in.

IM's response to stealth types in the past was to go all "War Machine".  Not try to compete with them in an arena he couldn't.

That being said; general portrayal was alright and a writer does need to find a way for the main character to come out ahead most of the time.

So it's not really anything to have an issue with.

So......possibly slight chance of meathead but general formidably of portrayal.

Though if Superman does something like use kryptonian tech. to reduce him to Deathstroke's physical levels so they can have a good fight.......