Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: So, Superman - Rebirth and onwards  (Read 3850 times)

superlurker

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
Re: So, Superman - Rebirth and onwards
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 04:13:20 AM »

My feelings on what they've done with Superman are highly mixed. In some ways, the Superman books are currently more like Superman than they've been in a long while. And that feels good to read.

On the other hand, this feels very much like a squandered opportunity. The Morrison run simultaneously made Superman more true to himself, his original portrayal and managed to be more relevant to present-day issues. It was a great foundation to build on.

Then DC fucked up in a few ways, that mostly feels like editorial stupidity. They tried to "freshen" things up with writers like Lobdell. There were probably editorial mandates to write Superman as less experienced or confident (something hack writers would obviously not manage to balance well with still giving him Superman's voice properly), and maybe try new gimmicks to show that this is different (tm); basically seeing what shit sticks to the wall. The core reason there was anything wrong with the New 52 take mostly had to with bad editorial decisions and mediocre writing, not the fundamentals of the character.

At the moment, it looks like they jettisoned that take on the character and went with, or back to, a safer, family-guy version. A more conservative take, both in terms of the comics situation and in terms of the social themes the book tends to reinforce.

What we are currently getting is improved writing and a sense of being back to "normal", at the expense of potential for growth and more relevance as a character.

And even if the writing feels better in some parts, it's still astoundingly mediocre, even offensively bad in some parts, especially things written by Jurgens. That "article" by Clark Kent where he wrote about how this version of Superman is basically better was dreadful. It was telling rather than showing how great he is, which generally gives off a feeling of verbal masturbation. And it read like some TV show swapping lead charaters and making the point about how much better then new lead is than the old one. It also feels terribly dragged out.

There was some interesting potential for a good Superman story there -- about him taking over the spot of the old one and earning the world's trust. Instead, it looks like that is just getting brushed aside with trite stuff like that Clark Kent article and an "inspiring" shot of him righting the American flag on the Moon. They're making it feel way too easy, which doesn't feel inspiring at all -- it feels more like just handing out easy opportunities to look good, or even straightforward propaganda.

Most of all, it looks like Johns is interested in telling a certain meta story involving the Watchmen characters and the story surrounding Superman is fundamental to that arc. I'm hoping there's an additional twist with the two versions of Superman, rather than the straightforward swap they did, where it seems like one is "real" and the other some kind of phony. Because if it's meta-based writing, there are more interesting stories to tell than simple wish fulfillment for grognards.

g-train

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »

Are there batcaves on the moon?

You know what's crazy about that is?

As super-crazy rich as Batman is....that's not really all that out of the question.

Gamma Burst

• Donkey
  • The Flaw in Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 10:07:46 PM »

And January is already shaping up to be epic!

Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
Covers by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by ANDREW ROBINSON

“MULTIPLICITY” part one! The New Super-Man of China has been taken! The Red Son Superman of Earth-30 has been beaten! And who knows what’s happened to Sunshine Superman! Someone is collecting Supermen across the Multiverse—this looks like a job for our Kal-El as he is joined by Justice Incarnate in this multi-Earth epic!

On sale JANUARY 4 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

http://comicbook.com/2016/10/12/exclusive-/1

Panthergod

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »

*orgasms*

Mightily Oats

• Billy Ray Valentine
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 02:41:00 AM »

Is that a black, female Superman?

PS hahahaha Sunshine Superman.

Someone is a Donovan fan.
FUCKING DIGUSTING

Abhilegend

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »

New costume.

The Shuruku Demon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2017, 03:56:49 PM »

I didn't like the recent costume he's been wearing, so this is certainly an improvement. I'd probably prefer it if they just went back to the classic look to be honest, but I get that alot of people (including Morrison, I think) had an issue with the "underpants" on the outside thing, even if that didn't bother me much.

g-train

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »

I didn't like the recent costume he's been wearing, so this is certainly an improvement. I'd probably prefer it if they just went back to the classic look to be honest, but I get that alot of people (including Morrison, I think) had an issue with the "underpants" on the outside thing, even if that didn't bother me much.

Honestly; the "Underpants" on the outside kind of make sense.

Your wearing a skin tight body stocking, maybe dude doesn't want to show all his kibble and bits you know what I mean?

The Shuruku Demon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2017, 01:24:34 AM »

I always figured the "underpants" were part of the tights, rather than a separate piece he has to step into with the tights already on.

That said, Deadpool did once comment that Spider-Man's costume was so tight he could tell his religion, so maybe you're onto something.

Upper_Krust

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »

I just got the first Trade for Superman Rebirth a few days ago (I don't as yet have the Action Comics Rebirth trade, but I'll probably pick that up also in a few weeks).

+ I like the art, its got character to it, it LOOKS like a comic (unlike Darkseid War).
+ The colours are good and they (smartly) use pale and bright colours for most of the backgrounds making the characters in the foreground pop.
+ I like the basic idea of (literally) 'the old' Superman coming back.
+ Superman having a son has potential...lets hope it doesn't all go Bryan Singer on us.
+ Decent Action scenes (for a modern comic).
+ Even though its not mentioned in this trade I am intrigued by the whole Mr Oz/Watchmen 'infiltration'; I mean who the **** doesn't want to see Supes take on Dr Manhatten!?

- Its STILL decompressed (four issues for the Eradicator story) but its not as bad as other comics I have read - the stories seemed to average around 75 panels.
- The cover to Issue #1 (and the trade) is (IMO) terrible, but I really like all the other covers.
- Lois manages to assemble/get into the Bat Armour within 'half a page' (of time).
- Batman has a suit of armour that can go toe-to-toe with the Eradicator...god-damned Batman....cool armour though.

Conclusion: Enjoyable enough, exciting enough and interesting enough to keep reading, though hopefully they up the pace a tad.

Overall: 7.5/10

Gree

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »

I liked the new 52 outfit if they got rid of the pointless lines on the blue costume. Kind of liked the collar and pointed sleeves

Gree

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 03:44:17 PM »

I just got the first Trade for Superman Rebirth a few days ago (I don't as yet have the Action Comics Rebirth trade, but I'll probably pick that up also in a few weeks).

+ I like the art, its got character to it, it LOOKS like a comic (unlike Darkseid War).
+ The colours are good and they (smartly) use pale and bright colours for most of the backgrounds making the characters in the foreground pop.
+ Superman having a son has potential...lets hope it doesn't all go Bryan Singer on us.
+ Even though its not mentioned in this trade I am intrigued by the whole Mr Oz/Watchmen 'infiltration'; I mean who the **** doesn't want to see Supes take on Dr Manhatten!?

- Its STILL decompressed (four issues for the Eradicator story) but its not as bad as other comics I have read - the stories seemed to average around 75 panels.
- The cover to Issue #1 (and the trade) is (IMO) terrible, but I really like all the other covers.
- Lois manages to assemble/get into the Bat Armour within 'half a page' (of time).
- Batman has a suit of armour that can go toe-to-toe with the Eradicator...god-damned Batman....cool armour though.

Conclusion: Enjoyable enough, exciting enough and interesting enough to keep reading, though hopefully they up the pace a tad.

If it's the Hellbat armor it took the entire league to forge, including Supes, so...

Upper_Krust

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »

If it's the Hellbat armor it took the entire league to forge, including Supes, so...

Ah okay, that makes sense then. I thought it was something Batman had just rustled up* in his spare time.

*from a box of scraps...?

Abhilegend

• Billy Ray Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2017, 01:28:15 AM »

Just read Superman 7. Best comic of the year.

XerxesTWD

• Administrator
  • Pluto Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »

Just read Superman 7. Best comic of the year.
I haven't read it. Do you think it will be the best of the entire year, or do you mean Jan-16 to Jan-17?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4