Thanos Gets Another Ongoing Series

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Thanos Gets Another Ongoing Series
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 09:39:44 AM »
And he's after the Phoenix Force this time:

http://comicbook.com/2016/07/11/exclusive-marvel-announces-new-thanos-series/

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/thanos-sets-his-sights-fiery-marvel-power-from-lemire-deodato

I do like the references to the current Darth Vader book, as well as that he read Giffen's take on Thanos.
That makes me a little bit optimistic.

If they nail the proper Thanos, and give him the right motivations and everything it could be fun.
I will assume that the Phoenix Force is a vehicle to get the story going, not really the main focus of it though (I hope).

Hulkster

• +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/thanos-sets-his-sights-fiery-marvel-power-from-lemire-deodato

I do like the references to the current Darth Vader book, as well as that he read Giffen's take on Thanos.

If they nail the proper Thanos, and give him the right motivations and everything it could be fun.
I will assume that the Phoenix Force is a vehicle to get the story going, not really the main focus of it though (I hope).

Yea, the reference to Giffen's run was good to read.  Giffen's take on Thanos is one of the best.

TURBODERP

• +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »

Yea, the reference to Giffen's run was good to read.  Giffen's take on Thanos is one of the best.

He did the Samaritan run right? That was the one of the, if not the greatest Thanos depiction IMO. The Starlord/Gladiator bit, followed by the Maker, the Fallen One, and Annihilation, was a great Thanos arc. He was a true neutral/vague anti-hero (in the sense that "hey the universe dying sucks cuz (a) I'm in it and (b) I don't get to see the cool things happen in it), and written really well in a way that actually showed CHARACTER GROWTH.

As opposed to Bendis/Hickman/etc. writing the current Thanos as once again worshipping Death because that storyline hasn't been told enough over 50 years (and told better back then too, good god).

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 04:47:34 AM »
Pretty much.
Stalin build a nice base for Thanos up until Infinity Gauntlet, but Giffen was the guy who developed him into an actual person.

His Thanos was the best version I've read. Intelligent, capable, with a sardonic touch. He was selfish, but not insane, and he had a genuine curiosity about shit.

MTL76

• +1108/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »
Thanos is the kind of character who should never experience "growth" or get anywhere near the line that separates villain from anti-hero, kind of like the Red Skull. He's an irredeemable, straight-up mass murdering psychopath and that's fine, comic books need characters like that. Any attempt to change him from that rings hollow to me.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Necro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 08:30:13 AM »
Thanos is the kind of character who should never experience "growth" or get anywhere near the line that separates villain from anti-hero, kind of like the Red Skull. He's an irredeemable, straight-up mass murdering psychopath and that's fine, comic books need characters like that. Any attempt to change him from that rings hollow to me.

I don't know. This Thanos was nowhere close to being a hero.
He actively aided a creature bent on mass destruction (Annihilus), captured one of the primal forces of the Universe (Galactus and Silver Surfer), starved them of power and used them as weapons, then lobotomised a childlike Beyonder (Maker), because it was more convenient.

I don't think any of these actions come even close to making him an anti-hero.
It was simply that what "good" he did, came out as a side effect of his other actions.
I mean, he intended to make up for his former craziness in wanting to wipe out the universe, but the fucker literally walked over bodies to do it.

I think that is why this character growth worked for Giffen Thanos.
He was still the scariest motherfucker in the MU.

Incidentally, it's also why Vertigo's Lucifer worked so well.
They kept his personality and behaviour, and worked with that.
He never turned into a hero either, but continued to be selfish, egocentric, and monstrously focused on his goals, with lots of collateral (i.e. innocents) dying as a side-effect.

Similar to Giffen Thanos, who, while abandoning his need to destroy/rule the universe for Death, still remained the same person.

Actually, I'd argue the best "villains" are those with growth.
Dr.Doom for example is now so much better than he was 50 years ago.
The same can be said for Magneto in how he was as he started out, and how he got developed under Claremont and others.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:34:15 AM by Necro »

MTL76

• +1108/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »
The same can be said for Magneto in how he was as he started out, and how he got developed under Claremont and others.

I agree, but Thanos isn't one of those characters who benefit from growth. He has no noble characteristics or redeemable qualities. He's a straight-up evil motherfucker, like the Red Skull.

Insane Titan

• +4/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 11:26:27 AM »

I agree, but Thanos isn't one of those characters who benefit from growth. He has no noble characteristics or redeemable qualities. He's a straight-up evil motherfucker, like the Red Skull.
i agree to a extent about "growth" through heroic acts, but being evil is about being self serving. I have no problem with him doing stuff that looks heroic, only if it's for his benefit and not just saving ppl and shit like what Starlin did in his Thanos run before Giffen took over.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 08:52:43 PM »

Eh; Thanos screws himself out of power because he knows he's not worthy of it.  He's got a little more wiggle room there than The Red Skull.  But even the Red Skull has fantastically "mild"/tiny specks of humanity.  Stopped himself at the last second from killing his daughter because she wasn't a boy and than went on to use her in his various plans to kill and conquer.

Thanos's growth was more in the sense that he grew as a person and stopped being obsessed with a chick who didn't dig him in return more so than "becoming a good person".  Got some self-respect basically.

MTL76

• +1108/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
Anyone keeping up with this series? I was wrong, it's pretty fucking groundbreaking.

Peep this. Thanos is dying, son. And he's losing all his power. But that's not good enough for his son, Thane, who wants to kill the old man himself. So Thane assembles a team of Starfox, Nebula and Tryco the Champion. His master plan? Get [insert cosmic MacGuffin] because even though Thanos is at death's door, a little more power can't hurt right? God damn, like father, like son.

Except... Holy shit! Thane steals [insert cosmic MacGuffin] and becomes even MORE of a threat than Thanos! He's omnipotent. And evil. I never saw that coming.

Looks pretty bleak for Starfox and company. They're sunk. But they decide to flip the script and team up with... Thanos! Fucking Thanos! Unbelievable! Can you say "face turn"?

But remember how I said that Thanos is about to die, and is powerless? And how Thane is now omnipotent? Seems pretty hopeless, old chums.  But sure enough, Thanos has a plan. He's going to... steal another [insert cosmic MacGuffin] and make himself more powerful than ever! A [insert cosmic MacGuffin] that no one's ever heard of, but conveniently grants unlimited power. Fucking hell. Thanos on a MacGuffin hunt. He truly is the master planner.

I really feel that this series is stretching the definition of what we call "comic books" and is taking Thanos is a completely new direction.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:32:27 PM by MTL76 »

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 02:36:08 AM »

I disagree.

The dude is capable of love. I mean, yeah, he loves Death, but everything he did for a long time was for the woman he loved. The real reason he wanted the Infinity Gauntlet was to be worthy enough for her and make her happy.

He does show respect to worthy opponents. Heck, I liked in Thanos Quest when he meets the Gardner he appreciates his garden and tries to get the gem without killing him. He even shows remorse later about it.

I think just that later on Thanos was written as the boring "Me destroy everything!"

Red Exodus

• +6/-19
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 04:06:02 AM »
Personally I would've preferred they left him dead after Annihilation.

In the end, he got exactly what he wanted. We see him standing there
happily with Death by his side.

It was the perfect time to retire the character at that point. But as usual,
we can't have nice things.

Insane Titan

• +4/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 05:52:30 PM »
Lol @MTL the cunty little crying faggot.

SmeaGog

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 06:19:14 PM »
Using his words, and whatnot, like a cuck.

Thanos would never do that.

SmeaGog

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Use his words like an adult, I mean. Obviously he's always been a cuck.