Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes

Author Topic: Orange Is The New Black *SPOILERS*  (Read 588 times)

BillyRunsThingsSon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
Orange Is The New Black *SPOILERS*
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »

THIS SHOW IS AMAZING!!!!  Best season yet!  So many important issues touched on, without losing the heart and levity of the show.  Amazing performances from top to bottom.  There are a few superfluous performances like So So and Pouse or whatever, but there are so many characters it doesn't matter.  Piper's the world's biggest tool, and Gloria's still the HNIC alongside Red.

Bandido

• Sherman Klump
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Is The New Black *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 01:45:22 AM »

I wondered whether this show could hold my attention without being a comedy and season 4 proved it can. Every time I think they write themselves into a corner, they get out of it.

-K-M-

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »

Just started this show. On to season 2. So far it's ok. Slow at times, but the characters are interesting....except piper. i find her annoying

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »

This show is boring. It seems like it was written by, and for, the Huffington Post editorial board.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

-K-M-

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 02:38:49 PM »

Yeah unless it really picks up I'm not seeing the reason for the hype. Great acting, but the overall story is slow.

BillyRunsThingsSon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 02:51:53 PM »

Yeah unless it really picks up I'm not seeing the reason for the hype. Great acting, but the overall story is slow.

The characters are what the hype is based on so I don't know what to tell you.  I LOVE Gloria and could watch her for a million years straight.  All the other characters are so incredibly well-written and performed that it's easy to get involved in their personal journey within the prison of Litchfield, as well as that of their own personal demons.

Bandido

• Sherman Klump
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 09:40:07 PM »

The characters are the highpoint. If you haven't liked theme so far the next two seasons won't grab you. I will give the show a lot of credit for flipping the tone on its head for season four. All these funny schadenfreude-like moments add up and take their toll, and yet, it's still a show of small victories being the ones people fin d endearing.

-K-M-

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »

All caught up and some gem episodes but overall I'm lukewarm to it. How season 4 ended should be interesting to see the fall out

BillyRunsThingsSon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 03:26:17 PM »

All caught up and some gem episodes but overall I'm lukewarm to it. How season 4 ended should be interesting to see the fall out

The show need to spend considerable time introducing it's characters, the pacing of the storytelling kinda drags, and this season only introduced two compelling new characters.  But there was still palpable tension throughout that kept my interest peaked.  it helped that I took a prison & human rights course last semester so the plot was pretty poignant. 

All and all, I think the show has way too much fat in the cast, but since "representation" is so important to the shows promotion and appeal they'd be hard-pressed to reduce the cast to the degree necessary with falling outside of SJW-approved proportions.

BillyRunsThingsSon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »

So I've watched the first episode of the new season (season 5) and for a show that seems like it's been off the air for a million years it hits the ground running fast and hard. This show is arguably the most bingable show in existence and nothing's changed.  Every single character is written so well, and it's impressive how they're inserted into the plot so naturally that it literally feels like a real world with people we've met or could be friends with.  Nowhere else is an ensemble handled so perfectly.

The cliffhanger was soooo crazy that I worried how they'd actually follow up that finale.  Thought maybe they backed themselves into a narrative corner because OITNB is not Wentworth; therefore, there are lines that will not be crossed imho.  However, the story progresses well, and the characters are perfect conduits for the chaos that besieges a marginalized community in grieving over a lost loved-one.  However, given the empathy and compassion that has always been a fundamental part of how the characters related to each other on this show, the tempest that ensues is one, however reluctantly, that you actually trust in the characters' hands.

I'm feeling pretty confident that this is going to be a tremendous season.

Oh yea... thank you, Dark Overlord!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:38:11 PM by BillyRunsThingsSon »

altoon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »

So I can assume Netflix didn't pay the ransom for the episodes?

BillyRunsThingsSon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »

So I can assume Netflix didn't pay the random for the episodes?

Thankfully they didn't.  First 2 episodes are great!  A lil on the darker side like season 2.

Bran Mak Morn

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 01:01:17 PM »

Thought maybe they backed themselves into a narrative corner because OITNB is not Wentworth; therefore, there are lines that will not be crossed imho. 

I'm surprised to hear Wentworth got a mention.
What's the reception/popularity like o/seas?

It's a remake of Prisoner which was a popular controversial  Aussie soap series in the 80's.

BillyRunsThingsSon

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »

Thought maybe they backed themselves into a narrative corner because OITNB is not Wentworth; therefore, there are lines that will not be crossed imho. 

I'm surprised to hear Wentworth got a mention.
What's the reception/popularity like o/seas?

It's a remake of Prisoner which was a popular controversial  Aussie soap series in the 80's.

Barely anyone here watches it, but everyone who does loves it.  It's harder to sit through than OITNB because OITNB is so well-written that it grabs you and shifts your mood along with the show.  With Wentworth, if I'm not in the mood for the unyielding dread and solemn mood of the show I can't turn it on.  Frankie's my favorite character, but.they all lack the redeemability to really root for.  Great show though.