Herochat

The Brexit Thread

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
Re: The Brexit Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »
On one hand I can see why they could stay in.

On the other hand; just because immigration makes them more successful.

I mean if you care about national identity and all that, at what point will immigration make Britain, not Britain anymore or England or whatever the correct terms are.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 08:12:37 PM »
Britain will probably remain, but hopefully their people will have some self-respect and want to preserve their national sovereignty and show it by leaving the EU.

Panthergod

• +35/-73
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »
Everyone sane would vote to stay in.

The Ukip and Brxit  is Donald trump sounding smarter because he has a well rounded British accent and exchanging po lacks for Mexicans

Muslims are feared and discriminated against all across the board.

Glad to hear about the bookies rarely being wrong. I've been watching them in the U.S. general more so than Quinnipiac or rassmussen

Because only totalitarian globalists are sane, right?

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
Britain ... or England or whatever the correct terms are.

It's the United Kingdom voting in this referendum, which consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. "Britain" is actually a landmass (just England, Scotland and Wales - doesn't include Ireland), not a country (although "Britain" or "Great Britain" is accepted short-hand for the UK, the full title of which is "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland").

Basically the UK = the USA, with England, Scotland, Wales and N.I. being roughly analogous to US states therein. England, being by far the largest and most important of the four constituents, is often used interchangeably with the term "UK" in most other countries... much to the annoyance of our Scottish and Welsh neighbours.

Cheers.

nu-safado

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 10:50:08 PM »
It's the United Kingdom voting in this referendum, which consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. "Britain" is actually a landmass (just England, Scotland and Wales - doesn't include Ireland), not a country (although "Britain" or "Great Britain" is accepted short-hand for the UK, the full title of which is "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland").

Basically the UK = the USA, with England, Scotland, Wales and N.I. being roughly analogous to US states therein. England, being by far the largest and most important of the four constituents, is often used interchangeably with the term "UK" in most other countries... much to the annoyance of our Scottish and Welsh neighbours.

Cheers.

Well, the Scots barely averted a secession and it was a nail-biter. I understand the annoyance of the Southern Irish and the Scots regarding their national identities but I hope to holy hell that Scotland doesn't try to leave again - Edinburgh and Glasgow aren't enough to make a successful nation without far greater support IMHO

I am VERY concerned about this vote.

1 - If this shakes currency markets - besides the inevitable sterling slide, it better not shake the dollar or my life will get a LOTTTTTTTTT harder. I have a hedge, some local work could help me but the only way that a Leave doesn't screw me is if the world runs to the dollar as a safe haven currency aas the Pound slips and the Euro might be rattles as well leaving - not much else but a basket of floundering currencies

2 - This is the first rupture in a fractured EU that has been teetering on the brink. Nationalism is sweeping the world and if the UK is subject to this, the rest of the world isn't safe

I've been refreshing my browser on the Bloomberg and Economist trackers all night.

Come on Lord - just give me a stable world and a powerful exchange rate for the next 2-3 years and I will spend the rest of my days honoring you :'(

superlurker

• +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 11:24:37 PM »
Looks like it's headed for a narrow win for the Leave side.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 11:33:26 PM »
If the no's win, I wonder if the EU will eventually collapse.

Sarcastic Cat

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 11:36:16 PM »
if they leave this will be a colossal cluster-fuck

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:48 PM »
Expect the stocks to crash tomorrow morning if Britain leaves. The future of the entire EU will be up in the air.

Free trade is good, I am not arguing against it, but strings attached is just that...strings attached. There are unelected bureaucrats that make legislation that the entire EU nation states are bound to. How is this morally just? How is this practical? It's neither and there is a clear system that is begging to be corrupted (if it isn't already).

How is an agreement good if it takes one of it's largest members to vote on leaving for them to say "but we'll change!" Like a sad girlfriend.

Sarcastic Cat

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 11:56:18 PM »
I'm not British and I didn't even realize this was happening till today but holy hell the shockwaves will be global if the Leavers win.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 12:02:59 AM »
ITS OFFICIAL ITS OVER. EXIT WON
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:06:39 AM by ProjectCornDog »

Sarcastic Cat

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 12:14:11 AM »
Scotland's got to be so pissed right now

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 12:25:24 AM »
Britain didn't say no to free trade, they said no to a bunch of unelected bureaucrats making backroom laws that all the nation states of the EU were bound to. This wasn't them rejecting globalism either, it was rejecting world government.

This is good news.

Sarcastic Cat

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 12:27:38 AM »
tell that to my stocks

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 12:31:18 AM »
The market never responds well to surprises, it will recover soon enough.