Lebron vs. Michael
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:15:17 AM »
So, is Lebron the GOAT now?

DarthAlani

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Lebron vs. Michael
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:52:03 AM »
No,he is not. I have Lebron number 4 all time right now.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:40:11 AM by DarthAlani »

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:22:49 AM »
No, he's not.

But I do have him at number 2 all around now, I think. Still hate him though.
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:25:47 AM »
No, but he gets closer every time he has amazing years.

Sarcastic Cat

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 07:28:43 AM »
they play differently. Not sure why people keep mixing wings and bigs and trying to compare them.

MJ is probably the best and most efficient scorer in NBA history (fuck the Steph curry noise he might be the best shooter but MJ is way more efficient and played in era's where you could take people's heads off). Great handle incredible aggression and attack.

Lebron is closer to Magic in terms of style of play but at the same time he's also pretty different. He's a big that can play point, great vision and passing ability but with this incredible strength and athleticism to take it to the basket as well. Once Lebron truly developed a solid post game like there years ago he solidified himself as an all time great. Than once his jump shot is on he's almost unbeatable. Lebron is just a freaky combination of size speed strength and skill.

At this point Lebron's already a better passer/distributor than MJ and arguably a better defender.

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:00:38 PM »
they play differently. Not sure why people keep mixing wings and bigs and trying to compare them.

MJ is probably the best and most efficient scorer in NBA history (fuck the Steph curry noise he might be the best shooter but MJ is way more efficient and played in era's where you could take people's heads off). Great handle incredible aggression and attack.

Lebron is closer to Magic in terms of style of play but at the same time he's also pretty different. He's a big that can play point, great vision and passing ability but with this incredible strength and athleticism to take it to the basket as well. Once Lebron truly developed a solid post game like there years ago he solidified himself as an all time great. Than once his jump shot is on he's almost unbeatable. Lebron is just a freaky combination of size speed strength and skill.

At this point Lebron's already a better passer/distributor than MJ and arguably a better defender.

They are both wings. Lebron is simply a more versatile player both offensively and defensively. LeBron is not a "Big". He can be used in that way but he is first and foremost a small forward who assumes point guard duties due to his ability to facilitate.

MJ wasn't as efficient as you think. His career shot efficiency is .580% around 79th all-time. To call him the most efficient scorer of all-time is blatantly incorrect. Kobe Bryant actually outshines him in both 3 point shooting and at the free throw line. Curry demolishes him in efficiency.

MJ wasn't known for having a particularly great handle. He was an extremely careful offensive player who rarely turned the ball over but he wasn't particularly singled out for having great ball handling skills like someone like Jamal Crawford or Tim Hardaway. When someone refers to a basketball players handle they are referring to their ability to dribble the ball in traffic efficiently using a wide variety of moves, fakes, jukes and skills. 

None of that does anything to his legacy as he is easily the greatest player of all time. And it's not close.

MJ was dominant to a degree that simply hasn't been matched on both sides of the ball.

LeBron is not a better defender by any stretch of the imagination. He's more versatile but that does not mean he is better. MJ was a 9 time all defensive 1st teamer, third all-time in steals and literally dominated games on both ends of the floor.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:30:42 PM by JookDukem »

fatnlazy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
Didn't watch the finals this year. Did the refs keep the Cavs in it?

Wyntyr

• +112/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
Yarp
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

DarthAlani

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »
The NBA comes up with story lines that make Vince McMahon weep with envy.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +5/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 07:31:33 PM »
I'm on my phone, so I can't lay waste to some of Jook's claims.

But once I get on my laptop? It's a wrap.

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 10:26:18 PM »
What claims?

Those are statistical facts.

Jordan is a 9 time NBA All-Defensive 1st teamer. Fact.
LeBron has made 5 1st team NBA All-Defensive squads and 1 2nd NBA All-Defensive team. Fact.

Jordan is third all time in steals. Fact.

His true shooting percentage isn't close to the number 1 spot. Fact.
Steph Curry is 6th. Fact.

Jordan didn't have the "handle" of a Chris Paul, Tim Hardaway or literally any other all star/superstar/hall of fame gaurd. Nobody said he didn't have a "good/great" handle, he's just not known as some maestro with his handle is all. Anyone who makes the claim that he has a handle that can rival Hardaway or Chris Paul or Isiah Thomas or Steph Curry is straight up out of their minds.

Lebron plays small forward, the 3. Fact.
The 1 is point, 2 and 3 positions are known as wing positions and the 4 and 5 are power forward and center which people call "bigs". Fact.

After a little more research It seems like Kobe just barely edges Jordan in 3 point accuracy and free throws. We're talking about tenths of a percenatge point so I concede that point.

There weren't many "claims" made in my post, more a list of facts.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:34:50 PM by JookDukem »