Herochat

Best exercises that require no gym membership?

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Best exercises that require no gym membership?
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:25:50 AM »
I'm not really flush w/ cash atm and while I exercise regularly it's pretty basic non gym stuff.

I run for 20-30 min
I do some push-ups
Do some triceps dip things using a chair and then lower myself and bring myself up
Do some curls and other whatnots with some hand weights

I don't even know what things are called. This is not my wheel house, but I'd like to add some stuff that I could do w/o gym. Considering trying the Rocky 4 work out if I can find a chicken to chase but in the meantime, do you guys know of any good things I can do w/ limited resources?

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Best exercises that require no gym membership?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 12:40:36 PM »
Any body exercises. Pushups, squats, planks, sit-ups, leg raises, etc. Just google body exercises. Burpees  and variations of seem to be the considered the top body exercise to do.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »
I've done all of those in my routine except for burpees. Have to look into these burpees...

nu-safado

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 08:01:23 PM »
e-mail me. I can get you a hold of the best books on the best bodyweight guys out there, there's an entire school of functional strength trainers who, after feeling some soreness or wanting to switch things up, go bodyweight for a while.

A few ideas:

Get a doorway chin up bar

Get a TRX or any suspension strap
ab wheel of any kind

1 - handstand wall pushups - if you can do 3 you are a stud
2 - bodyweight squats
3 - bodyweight lunges
4 - trx suspension pushups - if you think 100 is easy to crank out - with the straps 20 will feel like death. Vary up the reps and tempo
5 - reverse body weight rows - essentially - get two chairs and something that can hold your weight. Stick anything on top of the chairs that you can do a recline row on and preferably put your feet up - 10 reps will be hard
6 - you can write a whole book on chin ups - my suggestions - on the last chin up hold the last rep as long as you can, squeezing - and then do a negative as best you can
7 pull ups - same as chins - so many variations
8 - ab wheel outs try to work up to doing them from a standing position
9 - pistol squats if you can - youtube it, if not - deck squats -
10 - jury rig a glute ham raise with just your body weight - VERY hard
11- jury rig a reverse hyper - also hard
12 - you should be doing tricep dips religiously

13 - muscle ups - people live and die on muscle ups - be one of them

There's 13 ideas to start

best resources

Zach Evanesh Bodyweight Beast
Jason Ferrugia - anything bodyweight
Pavel Tsatsouline - the naked warrior (brilliant guy - wish he had better book titles)

I'd recommend getting a band to do chest expanders or face puls - TBH with bands you can do almost everything and they're cheap

Bandido

• +6/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »
Pull ups man, pull ups. Run shuttle sprints.

Also the Chicken thing wasn't Rock IV. - Only 'cause I had to, broseph.

XerxesTWD

• +54/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
Sprinting.

Hamburglar

• +2414/-55
  • I use naughty words
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 02:12:39 AM »
Wrestle your dog.

FUCKING DIGUSTING

Dlbiininja

• +16/-8314
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 02:14:35 AM »
Deck of cards.
Numbers are numbers, face cards are worth 25, jokers 50.
Do 1 deck in pushups, 1 deck in sit ups/crunches.
You'll be good.

Dude, I've been telling people the same shit.  Get a deck of cards and bump the face cards up by 5 or 10 reps each card. 

One of my first thoughts.

I'm not really flush w/ cash atm and while I exercise regularly it's pretty basic non gym stuff.

I run for 20-30 min
I do some push-ups
Do some triceps dip things using a chair and then lower myself and bring myself up
Do some curls and other whatnots with some hand weights

I don't even know what things are called. This is not my wheel house, but I'd like to add some stuff that I could do w/o gym. Considering trying the Rocky 4 work out if I can find a chicken to chase but in the meantime, do you guys know of any good things I can do w/ limited resources?
Sprinting.

Something you should check out is craigslist if you have room at your place to set up for equipment.

Look into the powerblock Dumbbells.  I have the 5-90 lbs set.  And a 300 lb Olympic bench set (with incline) in the house.  With medicine balls 5-15lbs, another portable bench I can move from room to room, or take outside(incline and decline capable). 

Other things to consider a jump rope excellent for cardio, basketball go hit some courts man.  Pull up bars over your door way or backyard.  Resistance bands are pretty decently priced also.

Smith machine if you're able to later on.  May take a little time.  But, in the end it's all worth it.  Nothing better than having your tools ready when you need them. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

Jessie

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »
Like everyone's been saying, general fitness doesn't take much work.

Push ups are good.  Try to look up hindu push ups, they feel excellent and take a lot of core work.

Learn how to do hand stand push ups against a wall. 

Jump ropes are cheap, nice for conditioning, and work way better for your lower body than just doing calf raises.

Pull ups.  Instead of a doorway chin up bar, if you have a place to loop a rope or a towel just use that as a chin up station, like Mr. T in Rocky III

NeoGreenLantern

• +65/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »
I thought you needed extra arms to do Hindu push-ups?

nu-safado

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »
Just to make a distinction, fitness and muscle building are different unless you're using circuits, which include both.

Any chance you could get a kettlebells btw. A sixteen kilo one is enough to be very creative with the burped and pull ups and other suggestions.

shadowknight

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 03:19:49 PM »
It depends are you looking for health or definition and size?

If you're looking for health I highly recommend the 5 Tibetans or 8 piece of brocade

If you are looking for definition and size. It's bicycling 2-5 miles a day, walking for 20 minutes that's a least 15 blocks, pushup at least 100, pull-ups at least 20, sit-ups at least 60

nu-safado

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 09:01:17 PM »
Tibetans?

Brocade?

Explain, very interested

shadowknight

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »
It depends if you want a short explantion or a detailed one. For now let me give you a short explanation, PM me if you are interested in a deeper explanation.

The 5 Tibetans was discovered by a British Officer in India roughly during the early 20 before india gained her independence. This officer feeling his age sought a way to extend, and reverse the degeneration of his body due to old age. So he searched throughout India and in Tibet he discovered a monastery were they practice a form of exercise that strengthen the organs and ultimately extended the lifespan, and also strengthens the body. While the exercises somewhat  resembles Yoga poses, they 're more powerful, easier to do and are just 5 exercises. Actually there's a 6th but it requires you give up having sex.

The 8 brocade has it's origin in Bodhidharma the famous  Indian Buddhist monk you taught the Shaolin Monks meditation, combat and Chi Gung. This is a simplistic explanation but the 8 Brocade can somewhat be describes as doing Tai Chi with only 8 movements. Originally there were 12 Brocades but over the centuries 4 were lost. Anyway done correctly they can extend the lifespan, increase strength and keep you in optimum health. Given Bodhidharma has said to have lived more than 165 yrs there's more than a gain of truth in the saying.

Aleinstein16

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »
Olympic Rings