Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Anyone lift weights?  (Read 21894 times)

Insane Titan

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone lift weights?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »

One max rep for bench is around 210kg.

Don't don't bar squatting much due tony neck, but love doing hack squats free weighted machine.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »

Nice. One of the girls on my staff is an olympic weightlifter and she was the one who suggested them to me. Actually gave me my first pair. They're awesome.
Thats cool. And thanks for the link!

Also i have to ask, is the girl hot???

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • Administrator
  • King
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »

She's the ginger with the multi colored socks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijT-d8lpFhA

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 07:47:15 PM »

Wont load right now, but, you already have me intrigued at ginger. Aside from the Wendy's girl, i love gingers...!

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • Administrator
  • King
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »

She's a good kid. Strong too, weighs 130, and squats over 350 and deads nearly as much. Proud of her.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 07:06:55 AM »

Finally got to watch most if it. She's cute!

Rufio

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 11:41:51 PM »

@ Rufio

You have a deadlifters body. IMHO if you followed something like the westside barbell prorgam and tweaked it a bit by adding in a few moves that were bodybuilding-ish and just dieting correctly, you could get up to class 70 strength in short order. In 2-3 years - top tier easy

Seriously though if you put together a deadlift-centric program and worked your upper body  as you wanted to with a clean diet you could be ginormous and shredded. If you eat quality food you'll stay shredded even if you get bigger

Thanks. I finally got to my goal bodyfat this Summer with completely hard lower abs while doing 5x5. My usual problem has been getting too eager to bulk at the end of a diet and failing to take the 2 weeks of maintenance needed to get hormones and metabolism back to normal. I'm much better at squatting than deadlifting right now because my grip needs a lot of work and I don't practice deadlift technique enough, so my hips often shoot up too early. I started doing static grip work and hamstring isolation to help. My deadlift is only 60 lbs above my squat, whereas I see lots of people deadlifting 100 lbs more than their squat.

I've heard people say that Westside is too much geared towards equipped powerlifting and people who've completely exhausted their linear gains. I got great progress this Summer from JuggernautFitness 5x5, but I was spending 3 hours at the gym 3 times a week. I can't do that anymore since I'm about to start working 60+ hours a week. I'm gonna try Jonnie Candito's 4x6 routine, which splits the workouts between explosive power (fast rep) upper/fast lower and controlled (pause reps) upper/lower.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:44:07 PM by Rufio »

DarthAlani

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 01:22:58 AM »

Me personally, I have always preferred  reps as opposed to lifting for pure strength. I don't go above 245 for bench, 225 for incline and usually do 5 sets of 12. I include flyes,and dips into my chest routine.

Legs I just stick to 315 for 5 sets of 10, it hurts and puts on a great sweat. Shoulders I prefer military presses standing and power cleans, along with behind the neck presses and arnold presses for form.

Back consists of deadlifts using 225-315 depending on how I'm feeling that day and all kinds of pull-ups.  I do tri's and bi's as a secondary workouts to the big muscles.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:49:15 AM by DarthAlani »

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 01:36:50 AM »

Thats very good. :)

DarthAlani

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 01:49:43 AM »

Thanks. Keeps me in shape, so it's doing it's job.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 03:44:27 AM »

I like it.
Good solid weight, nice rep range.

nu-safado

• Administrator
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 04:53:03 AM »

@Rufio - congrats on the new job (whatever it is)

warning tl;dr coming up.............

here's the thing about Westside and why it works.

By the sounds of it your training routine is a highly disciplined and well-laid out power oriented bodybuilding routine and I suspect you're counting every calorie. nutrient and timing your meals like a bodybuilder (you're a disciplined mofo) and lifting according to strict routines.

I suspect that the only weak point with these bodybuilder routines is that you can't get bigger,stronger and stay leaned out all year round because you per iodize your training (bulking then cutting etc...) That's good and it works, but IMHO there are better ways

having said that Westside is flawed, as you mentioned. They have routines that if carried out to their true. strict rigorous application wouldn't work without steroids. They essentially apply Russian Olympic lifting principles into the 3 power lifts and their objective is to compete. Don't underestimate how powerful there guys are raw - they are all powerhouses but their passion is too win meets and set records and you can't do that without learning how to use the equipment.

In the world of powerlifting in general however, the equipment is a HUGE difference. The best raw bench in the wolrd is probably in the high 700's, maybe an 800 and change. The world record is over 10000 pounds and change, heading to 1100. Without equipment the human physiology just won't get that far

Here's where I think you could benefit

1 - Westide has some great theories that work on natural bodybuilders. I saw a guy who weighed maybe a buck 80 raise his dealift from the 400's or so to somewhere in the low 600's and it was absolutely natural. It took him longer, harder work and he had to skip some of Westside's techniques but it was amazing

2 - The core concept behind Weestide is that you should be running mini strength sycles all year long and varying t th exercises and support lifts while always beuilding explosive power. Their philosphy on getting into a heavier weight class is to add a few bodybuilding bulking exercises

3 - No matter what - if you eat clean and lifft right, you can very easily lose fat and build muscle. Its so much simpler than you think. You know how to eat - if you change the exercises your body wlll rspond accordingly - you'll get bigger, stronger and more shredded while your diet will determine how you look Read Brad Pilon's book on how much protein and food you really need to gain mass. It isn't as much as you think

Avoid all the high caloric foods and don't overdo protein (it converts to glucose and spikes insulin) and you will keep your Statue of David lower abs and get bigger where you want to.

I might have left a few things out but the backbone of Westisde lifting - 1 light day one max strength day for both upper and lower body is very sound. Add in a day for anything you feel you might be missing (metabolic circuits, kettlebells, abs, shoring up biceps) and I think you'll be surpriised with the result and pleased at how fast the workouts are - given your schedule.

As for grip - IMHO (since grip is my problem as well) make that extra day a grip training day and add in grip exercises throuhgout your training - farmers walks, static finger rolls. Read anything by John Brookfield or John wood for that and use the Captains of Crush grippers to get amazing resuts.

Its blasphemy to say so but if you're trainng and not competing, crossfitting or anything like that - use the straps until your grip catches up - so log as you don't slack off on hard grip training on other days.

good luck

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 12:32:48 AM »

Benched 365x3 last week...
375x1 about an hour ago, yeah!

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 12:43:18 AM »

I lift but only enough so that I still look good naked.  I was never interested in bulking up.

LiquidSailor

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 01:42:52 AM »

I lift but only enough so that I still look good naked.  I was never interested in bulking up.

IF that's the case then don't bother lifting, just swim instead.

There is nothing better than swimming for fat-burning and keeping your entire body toned.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26