Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed

Author Topic: Midcarder of the Week: Scott Norton  (Read 787 times)

Jabroniville

• Green Lantern
Midcarder of the Week: Scott Norton
« on: March 07, 2013, 02:12:46 am »

Scott "Flash" Norton
Wikipedia article

Finishing Move:
Brainbuster
Flashbreaker (Overhead Gutwrench Into Inverted Shoulderbreaker)
Release Powerbomb

Signature Moves:
Backbreaker
Body Avalanche
Dragon Sleeper
Headbutt
Lariat
Powerslam
Uranage
Vertical Suplex to Powerslam
Neckbreaker
Rib Breaker
Rope-Hanging DDT
Running Splash
Samoan Drop
Running Shoulder Block
2nd-Rope Shoulder Block

Archives:
Overall Categories Topic
2 Cold Scorpio
Ahmed Johnson
Al Snow
Albert/A-Train
Alex Wright
Andre the Giant
The Berserker
The Beverly Brothers (Mike Enos & Wayne Bloom)
The Big Boss Man
The Big Show
Billy & Bart Gunn
Bret "Hit Man" Hart
"The British Bulldog" Davey-Boy Smith
Bryan Clark
Buff Bagwell
Chris Jericho
Christian
Ciclope/Halloween
Damien Demento
Demolition (Ax, Smash, Crush)
"Diamond" Dallas Page
Dino Bravo
D'Lo Brown
Dynamite Kid
Earthquake & Typhoon
Edge
The Eliminators (Perry Saturn & John Kronus)
Ernest "The Cat" Miller
The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers
The Giant Gonzalez
The Godfather
The Godwinns
The Goon/Bill Irwin
The Great Muta
The Great Sasuke
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine
Haku & Tama
The Headshrinkers/Rikishi
The Heavenly Bodies
High Voltage
Hunter Hearst-Helmsley
Jake "The Snake" Roberts
John "Bradshaw" Layfield
Jushin Liger
Justin Credible
Juventud Guerrera
Kane
Ken Shamrock
Kerry Von Erich
Kevin Nash
King Kong Bundy
Koko B. Ware
Lex Luger
Ludvig Borga
Mantaur
Marc Mero
Marty Jannetty
Men on a Mission
Mick Foley
Mr. Perfect
Nailz
The Nasty Boys
Owen Hart
Power & Glory (Hercules & Paul Roma)
The Powers of Pain (Warlord & Barbarian)
Psychosis
The Public Enemy
The Quebecers
Scott Hall
Randy Savage
Raven
"Ravishing" Rick Rude
The Renegade
Ric Flair
Rick "The Model" Martel
Ricky Steamboat
The Road Dogg & The Armstrong Family
The Road Warriors
Rob Van Dam
Ron Reis
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper
Sean Waltman
Scotty Riggs
Shane Douglas
Shawn Michaels
Sick Boy
Silver King
"Stone Cold" Steve Austin
Test
Tito Santana
The Truth Commission
The Ultimate Warrior
Ultimo Dragon
Vader
Val Venis/Sean Morely
Virgil
Viscera
Well Dunn
Yokozuna
Yoshihiro Tajiri

Maxine Hunkel = Greatest Character Ever.

Jabroniville

• Green Lantern
Re: Midcarder of the Week: Scott Norton
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 02:43:01 am »

-Norton is notorious to me and many others as one of the numerous guys taking up space on Monday Nitro, despite no real push ever materializing. He was well-protected from jobs for YEARS, and stuck around in the nWo, yet never got anywhere resembling over.

-Norton got his start as a professional arm-wrestler (which is apparently a thing- he even got in that Stallone arm-wrestling movie "Over The Top" (which I only know about because I think TBS aired it eons ago). He was approached by New Japan Pro Wrestling to train while he was in Japan, but instead went to the AWA to get trained in 1989. He & John "Berserker" Nord were The Yukon Lumberjacks for a while, and took the "Flash" nickname from his armwrestling victories (because their arms would go down "in a flash", you see). His American career was basically amounting to nothing (no runs in a major company), but all of a sudden he went to Japan and after did a bunch of generic tag team stuff with other guys (like Ludvig Borga/Tony Halme and Hercules Hernandez).

-His push there always mystified me- Japan had a long history of using legit strong Americans as Evil Gaijin characters, but they usually stuck with solid workers like Vader & Steve Williams- by contrast, Norton was just a big, power-wrestling slug. He could wrestle fairly quickly for a round guy, but he had the most generic Power-Based Offense imaginable, and was nowhere approaching a good worker. His biggest advantage seemed to be his physique- with a barrel chest, big gut and large arms, he resembled Williams and other legit power-lifters, giving him real bad-ass cred to those "in the know" about what a REAL powerhouse looked like.

-Norton joined WCW in 1993 (part of their deal with NJPW), but he went nowhere with a boring Sting feud. He couldn't have been a more generic nothing of a guy with zero personality, to be honest, and nobody ever gave a shit about him. He & Ice Train (a failed attempt at creating a strong black babyface by WCW) found respect after a match and became the team "Fire & Ice". Their team was short-lived since both guys sucked, and their mini-feud went nowhere- when the nWo was doing one of their big post-Nitro beatdowns of half the roster, Norton would attack Ice Train from behind, effectively joining the stable.

-Norton joining the nWo is almost the watershed moment for me where I realized they were adding way too many pointless guys to the roster. I mean, Hogan, Nash & Hall were elites. Syxx was a great sidekick. Vincent was a stooge, and DiBiase & Bischoff were tolerable manager types. Buff Bagwell was even going places. But SCOTT NORTON? The blandest guy on the entire roster? He went nowhere, as NJPW was still using him to a major extent, and so all he got was a mid-tier tag team with Bagwell called "Vicious & Delicious".

-It was around this time that Norton finally got the God Foreigner Push in NJPW, actually winning their World Title! The idea of this nothing guy getting the title astonished me as a kid, and left me immediately biased against Japanese wrestling for a while- I couldn't imagine a company being any good with a guy like THIS on top. Getting this push made his WCW run less important, and so he became an nWo "B-Teamer", then left after jobbing to Goldberg, one of very few times he lost on TV (he would annoy the crap out of me by beating guys like Benoit, because his NJPW stuff meant he had to be protected from jobs).

-The 2000s would see Norton lower himself on the card (becoming a midcard Stop-Gap to potential World Champions), and he'd retire in 2004, but return as a freelancer two years later. After that, he basically did Indie Journeyman/Japan Journeyman stuff, especially once Japan split into about a billion mini-promotions. He still occasionally wrestles, but is mostly retired, at 51 years of age.

-Overall, Norton is a weird case of a guy who was a Main Eventer in Japan, yet not very over or popular at all in his home country- usually guys like the Funks, Vader & Dr. Death were at Title Holders at least ONCE in the West, but Norton's lack of charisma or ability never let him get very over in the States. I found him completely annoying because of how protected he was (despite no real position on the card), to the point where I'm probably biased against his wrestling ability- I remember him SUCKING, but less because he was clumsy and slow, and more because he never sold anything and had a generic moveset. I didn't quite know back then that a build like Norton's was probably the LAST one you'd ever want to see in an opponent- the sheer mass would be terrifying, as it provides a ton of power and durability. I actually should see some of his top New Japan stuff to properly assess him- if they can make Albert look like a decent worker, they can obviously polish a turd quite effectively :).

Bret Hart Categories:
Look: 8.5 (unimpressive until you realize just how tough a guy like that would be in real life- by wrestling standards he was a bit squat and round to be booked as a major powerhouse)
Skill: 3 (totally basic offense, but never sold ANYTHING worth beans, making his matches a bit of a chore. I'd have to see more to judge)
Charisma: 2.5 (couldn't have been more of a backgrounder if he'd tried. Never made the effort, even)
Overall: 14 (a pathetic score for a guy who was a reigning World Champion)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:26:27 am by Jabroniville »

Jabroniville

• Green Lantern
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:04:29 am »

Norton (vs) Keiji Mutoh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj-vyQDWo3s

OH GOD THIS MATCH IS BORING. Norton fucks up selling several times and lumbers around, with loosey-goosey offense (his Powerslams basically get released partway through when that's one of his KEY MOVES). SO MUCH LYING AROUND. He keeps going to the Powerbomb/Powerslam stuff so often he looks like Scott Steiner in terms of limited offense. 50% of this match is spent in the Figure-Four. A combo of Lazy Mutoh and Naturally Untalented Norton is not a good thing.

It's funny, because despite being forgotten in the States in his own time, Norton has gathered some notoriety in recent years, probably off of his bad-ass rep and strength, because for some reason wrestling nerds care more about that shit these days than they ever did back in the '90s.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:07:40 am by Jabroniville »

Propeus The Fallen

• Moderators
  • The Celestial
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 07:48:55 am »

Norton sucks. He's right up there with Dino Bravo with me.

Sick Nick

• He's the Daddy now.
  • Members' Pics VIP
  • Guardian of the Universe
  • Sick as a parrot.
    • Deviantart page
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:49:04 am »

Guy was ridiculously big, like something out of a comic book. He was large enough that he didn't look dwarfed by somebody like John Tenta but looked hard as fuck as well, with arms like oak trunks.
Slayven: Do you know what a group of Owls is called?

Dutchman: No, but a group of Posters on Herochat is called Shut the fuck up Slayven.

Hamburglar

• VIP
  • Wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet
  • The face of the World Dog Wrestling Federation
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 08:04:34 am »

He was built like the video game versions of wrestlers in the N64 games.

Sick Nick

• He's the Daddy now.
  • Members' Pics VIP
  • Guardian of the Universe
  • Sick as a parrot.
    • Deviantart page
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:58:43 am »

Jab's bio talks about his WCW run like it was continuous but Norton actually dropped out of the PPV - I think there were some politics going on with New Japan, I remember reading the back issue of the Observer from the time. As a casual viewer, Norton looked scary as fuck, annihilating a jobber and then cutting a promo on Sting. Two weeks later, he was gone and he ended up being replaced on the PPV by Nailz, of all people.

I stopped watching not long after but I think Norton was back after a year or so, teaming with Ice Train.
Slayven: Do you know what a group of Owls is called?

Dutchman: No, but a group of Posters on Herochat is called Shut the fuck up Slayven.